Keeping Pets Safe in the Garden
Many pets enjoy exploring garden foliage and scents. Unfortunately, the curious nature of pets can sometimes get them into trouble. A seemingly innocuous flowerbed or vegetable patch can be poisonous to cats and dogs. Owners can help their furry friends avoid danger by limiting the number of hazards and, what's more important, by supervising animals' outdoor activities.
Oakville, Ontario, veterinarian Dr. Wolfgang Zenker, DVM, M.Sc. (Path), MBA, says that an owner suspecting that a dog or cat has ingested a toxic substance should take the pet to the veterinarian immediately. "A veterinarian can easily induce vomiting within half an hour of ingestion of a poison", he says. "Time is of the essence—don't delay!" Dr. Zenker also points out that owners should remember that most dogs and cats are much smaller than humans, and a seemingly small amount of toxin can create a serious problem for them.
When it comes to creating an outdoor area that's pet safe, every gardener should be aware of the following.
Read more: Keeping Pets Safe in the Garden
- Created on .